So I thought of this because my father asked me to buy him a mobile phone for Hanukkah. Although I've always thought of my dad as an adventurer, he never managed to jump securely onto the technology bandwagon. He takes flying leaps, clings by his fingertips for a short time, then lets go and falls haplessly back into old habits. (This is in marked contrast to my mother who owns and uses every new gadget invented over the last three decades.) I know this about my father because Durf gave him a mobile phone some years ago. We have no idea where that phone is, but I can assure you that my father never put his fingers on the keys. Moreover, he has been using a *corded* phone his entire life.
He might be 85, but things are about to change:
And that's the way it's going to be for me, too. I have adventures scheduled out for the next 20 years or so. But the time will come when I'll undoubtedly retire my bicycle. At that time my nieces and nephews will probably be looking around for something to keep me engaged with the world. I'm putting them on notice. Buy me a Harley!
you go, girl!
ReplyDeleteSomething odd happened with this post. When I click on 2011 or December on the right, it shows only this post. It used to be that you'd see all the posts for the year or the month.
ReplyDeleteConcerning motorcycles, here's the sage advice given to me long ago by a motorcycle friend (in a cast) as I was about to buy a motorcycle: "There are only two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those that have been down, and those that are going down." I'd amend that to say that on rare occasions, the rider develops a brain before going down and sells the damn thing.
Durf can tell a harrowing story about going down on a motorcycle.
ReplyDeleteI too have gone down, but very slowly...from a stationary position. Must have looked pretty funny, especially when I started trying to pick it back up.
I've had 3 motorcycles - a Honda 450, a Yamaha 700, and a Honda Gold Wing 1100 - and many adventures on them. The Gold Wing was my only vehicle for several months while I commuted from Berkeley to Santa Clara. Although much of the time I've thought motorcycle riding was more pleasant in retrospect, every now and then I get that idea: "One more time?"
ReplyDelete