Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

He Sez: Assholes.

I think She is overreacting. Was Steve Jobs an asshole/jerk? Certainly. Flaming, at times, as well as unethical. I never liked the man, and I like him even less now that he is dead and details of his life have been released. But I think he was a very interesting person and almost certainly a genius.

Jobs had limited technical skills, but he had an uncanny ability to imagine what people wanted, even before they knew it themselves. He assembled people with the ability to create what he'd imagined, and he built what is today the second richest company in the world. He fought Microsoft when they were the Evil Empire. He gave us the iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, and iWhatever. He was an extremely creative person and a maestro of the magnificent.

As for doctors, I generally agree with She. Some are arrogant and some have god complexes, especially males. Medical schools today are including more training in forming good relationships with patients. But patients have to share some responsibility, because they often treat doctors as people who are somehow above us. Twila is a great example of an ideal patient, because she asks questions that need to be asked and she forces doctors to behave appropriately - that's why I always take her with me to a medical appointment.

3 comments:

  1. I agree more with TwIla on Jobs. Using the term 'genius' with him is hyperbole IMO. He was good at recognizing others' good ideas, but from what I read, not so good at coming up with good ideas of his own. The one button mouse is a travesty foisted on a quarter century of Mac owners. The Steve Jobs reality distortion kool-aid is not served in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well-spoken by a consummate Windows guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't the only one, Durf, who wants Twila in their corner in a doctor's office. It's a long list, of whom I am one.

    ReplyDelete