Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Odd Days: And then there was Skype

Perhaps I haven't given it a long enough trial, but so far skype has limited appeal for me. I can tell you straight off the bat that skyping with a client is something I'm pretty sure I will never do. After years of building up a mystique, I can imagine it all dissolving in one quick video chat during which a cowlick sits at attention on my head, mocking my sobriety, or worse...some body part comes untucked. You know what I mean?

But what about skyping with a friend. If you use a phone instead, at least you can wander around, clean the house, make yourself a cup of tea or put him/her on speaker and continue to work. (Be sure to put the phone far enough away that your friend can't hear the clacking of the keys.) Nope, not skyping with friends, either.

Here's what skype is for:

1. Talking to your honey when he is 8,000 miles away. It will remind him that you are keeping an eye on him.
2. Looking at a friend's new and drastically different haircut, so you can see him/her squirm and blush.
3. Facilitating a conversation between grandma or grandpa and the rugrats. Better than sending a DVD. This way grandma and grandpa can see that the rugrats really have no interest at all in sitting in front of the "TV" talking to grandma and grandpa. So grandma and grandpa need not feel guilty for not making the trip to rugrat-land.
4. Pranks. No details, but I advise you to remain on the qui vive...at all times.

1 comment:

  1. Just think, someday Skype will come with Smell-O-Vision (TM). Then, you'll REALLY not want to use it! Who will want to talk to Grandpa when he's cooking liver and onions? Eeeeuuuwwwww!

    ReplyDelete