Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Odd Days: OMG I Forgot to Have Children

I have a t-shirt with those very words on it. I'm pretty sure it was my father who gave it to me. (He also gave me my "Ask Me About My Tattoo" t-shirt.) I thought it odd that he would give me such a shirt while it was still possible for me to have children. But now I'm thinking that maybe it was a hint.

Anyway, I thought of the shirt while I was flying back home from my second stint in the Columbus home of my sister and her four kids. While my sister did battle with the Red Devil (a particularly toxic chemo drug) and while her husband tried to train the dog to fetch his crutches, I got to play super mom. Or maybe I should say, I got a lesson in why I would have made a lousy super mom. Here's the short version: can't cook (and don't want to learn), hate messes, treasure my 9:30 bedtime, like sipping wine and listening to Fresh Air in peace and quiet just before dinner on my back porch.

Lest you think I am a curmudgeonly old-fart aunt, let me say that I *love* my nieces and nephews. I'm always excited to see them, I love to play with them (even though I "suck" at Black Ops), and I'm depressed when I leave.

But then I return to my regular life and I remember why I forgot to have children.

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes to your sister. My wife had her own battle with the Red Devil... 4 1/2 years ago and still going strong.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Ed. I'm happy to hear that 4 1/2 years have passed and Genny is still doing well. I fully expect my sister to join that group of long-time survivors!

    ReplyDelete