Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fear and pain - Part 1.

Fear and pain are two sensations that most people… well, fear. I did, but I no longer do, so I'll tell you how I accomplished that in the hope that you might be able to do it, too. But first I have to talk about anger.

There are different kinds of anger, including annoyance, irritability, and possibly frustration, among others. One type I call flash anger, which is where you are relatively calm one moment and the next you've flipped out, lost it, and expressed yourself emphatically. Fortunately, that anger is self-relieving, so after you've picked up the shards of glass and repaired the holes in the wall (I threw a paperweight through my wall once), you're pretty much back to normal.

The kind of anger that is most destructive is that which sits deep inside you, festering. I haven't felt that often (unless you count politics), and I haven't had much success controlling it. A few years ago Twila was out of town and something happened that made me *very* angry. (It had nothing to do with Twila). The anger was just burning inside me, and I had no idea at all how to release it. After several hours I hiked around our nearby lake, and that helped a lot. By the end of the day it had become manageable.

Perhaps more insidious is the less apparent anger that, once it starts, lives in you. It might hibernate for a while, but it is easily triggered and then is very hard to dismiss. It takes a lot of work to release that anger, and in the meantime it eats away at you.

That's enough about anger. I wish I could suggest techniques to deal with it, but I haven't discovered them yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment