Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Great Indoors.

One thing Twila really likes is being outside. If she had her choice, I'm pretty sure she'd want to be outside anytime the weather was clement. Maybe she should have been a bear.

I've been outside, too. For instance, walking from my car into a store. It's entirely tolerable. If I want to spend time with my wife, though, which I do, often I have to be outside longer.

Sometimes we ride our bikes. We start from our house, pedal around awhile, then end up back at our house, tired and sweaty. I'm not sure I see the point.

Other times we hike. We put a lot of stress on our bodies, and often we suffer. I've blogged before how I feel about that.

I am a modern man. I take medicines, for example, because they're the main reason human life expectancy has gone from 18 to 79 years. And I like houses, which were invented to keep us comfortable. I don't see any reason to leave the pleasant environment of a house when I don't have to.

When you're inside, you don't need to wear raincoats or mittens. You don't need sunscreen. And the chances of being run over by a bus are exceedingly low. It seems like a win-win-win situation, to me. When someone, such as "guess who", suggests that we go outside, my first thought is, "Why would we want to do that?"

It's like retirement, in a way. Twila is already planning all the things we can do when her business winds down. I keep thinking about all the things we can *not* do.

In spite of differences like these, Twila and I get along wonderfully. I bought her a tandem, for example, so we can go bicycling and I don't have to pedal.

It's all about compromise.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, I will never know, but my one hint the one time I lived with the other gender mano en mano was that it was not all about compromise. It was more like "What can I do to please you, babe?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further to man/woman. Lyrics to a Peter Rowan song posted on a Peter Rowan group site. I have to track this song down!

    In the west texas town of Laredo seems like a lifetime ago
    I stepped into Rose's Cantina on the boarders of Old Mexico
    I was sent by the Texas Rangers to bring back the Outlaw Juaquin
    When I first set my eyes on Carmelita I felt like I moved in a dream.

    There really is no explaination for a love beyond space and time
    every broken heart has a story, listen while I tell you mine

    My Heart felt as dry as the desert, her lips held the promise of rain
    I knew for the love of this woman, I would suffer any pain

    One kiss is all that I gave her, one kiss she gave to me
    Give me back the kiss I gave her, your kiss will let me free
    (lyrics in spanish)
    Give me back the kiss I gave her, our first kiss will be our last

    Her eyes flashed like lightning, she knew I had come for her man
    But she smiled as the guitars played sweetly and held out her delicate hand.

    And while we were dancing a shadow appeared like a snake on the floor
    I saw Juaquin with a rifle standing just outside the door

    The stars were bright in the heavens a full moon arose in the south
    I tasted the lips of Carmelita warm as the sun on my mouth

    But before I could turn to protect her a shot rang out in the dark
    I felt my darling fall limp in my arms a pain stabbed deep in my heart

    One kiss is all that I gave her, one kiss she gave to me
    Give me back the kiss I gave her, your kiss will let me free
    (lyrics in spanish)
    Give me back the kiss I gave her, our first kiss will be our last

    ReplyDelete