Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Flying, or not.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a couple of months ago I bought my first collective pitch RC helicopter. It's a micro, for flying inside. It weighs 1.6 oz, its total length is 9", the main rotor diameter is 10", and the tail rotor diameter is 1.5". I had just learned to hover it when one of the servos (which receive commands from the radio) burned out. It turns out they're backordered for two months, a bummer. What to do?

I decided that I'd buy my ultimate (in current projections) heli, a much larger model for flying outdoors. I ordered it last week. (I left a human in the pic for relative size.)

Here are the specs. It weighs 3 lb. 12 oz., its total length is 33", the main rotor diameter is 38.2", and the tail rotor diameter is 7.9". So it's a lot bigger. It will arrive in a kit, so I'll have to build it.

The best part is that it's really cool. The worst part is that every crash will probably cost $100 or more. But I'm going to be really, really conservative. ACK! Bad word! I mean, really, really careful.

1 comment: