In California, I generally loved my doctors. If I didn't, I switched. And for the most part, I felt well cared for. But strange things happened with disturbing frequency. For example, once I went in for an imaging test. I was ushered into the room with the machine and told to undress. And then they forgot about me. Seriously! I won't embarrass myself by telling you how long I stayed in there. Let's just say, I might still be there if I hadn't gotten hungry.
On another occasion a doctor came in and started talking to me about a disorder that I didn't have. Oops, wrong room, I guess.
I believe those things happened because there are too many people in California and too many of them went to the doctor when I did. I know for a fact that the doctors were supposed to keep their appointments to 15 minutes, which makes for a certain amount of haphazardness. And, to be honest, I often felt rushed. You know the feeling...you are about to ask the doctor a question but he has already walked out the door.
Well, that sort of thing doesn't happen in CO. My first eye exam here in this great state took 1.5 hours! I felt as though my eyes were running a marathon. When I see my internist, she comes in, sits down, leans back, crosses her legs and asks to see my list -- but only after asking what adventure I've been on recently. When I cry over a (minor) diagnosis, she doesn't laugh at me, she offers me prozac.
We pay a lot more for health care here, but we get a lot more love.
Colorado score: +1
No comments:
Post a Comment