Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Odd Days: Entrapment!

Now how do you like that! Durf entices me back and then bails out. Hmmmmm. Maybe if I make enough outrageous statements, he'll reappear. For now, however, I'm moving on to mountain climbing.

Living in CO as we do, we find it pretty hilarious when people in the east refer to their hills (hardly anything over 4,000 ft) as mountains. Hard to take such hills seriously when our house sits higher than the vast majority of said eastern mountains. In fact, when you go hiking in CO, the *drop-offs* are higher than said mountains. Which brings me to the topic of acrophobia.

I have it.

You saw pictures of our most recent Rocky Mtn hike, which we did partly in prep for our Pikes Peak adventure (coming right up) and partly to entertain (?) visiting friends. There were no pictures of the piles of snow that covered the trail in spots. That's because Durf's attention was fixed on me and my acrophobia at those points. I knew that if we wanted to survive, we had to traverse the piles of snow without slipping down the side of the mountain, and knowing that was making me decidedly short of breath.

So there I was on all fours (yep), crawling over a pile of snow, trying desperately not to look to my right where there was mostly just air. From behind me, I hear my friend comment light-heartedly on my butt, which she said was in her face and not moving forward anywhere near fast enough. The comments didn't affect me at all. I was concentrating. And with each successful inch of progress, I thanked all powers, real and imagined (god? gravity?), for keeping me in the snow and not pitching me over the side.

You might wonder why I torture myself. Well, I've read that you can overcome acrophobia by exposing yourself to high places. So I think of these activities as therapy.

Our assault on Pikes Peak (or its assault on us) is scheduled for Wednesday. Stay tuned.

Colorado score: +1 (we have real mountains)

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever notice that as you get older you seem to get a little shorter? Well...doesn't mean you aren't better. As with the Appalachian Mtns, which were the highest mountains on earth, 460 million years ago. Those whipper-snapper Rockies weren't even a whisper back then...weren't even a whisper. The Apps may not be as tall, but they have lots more ghosts and stories to tell... and an aged beauty all their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoken like an easterner! Actually, I'd love to hike the appalachian trail. Probably wouldn't need serax, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No serax, bear repellent is recommended, though.

    ReplyDelete