When we left off, Rodent Busters had picked up on the first ring. That, all by itself, is going to give CO a +1.
Back in CA, our lot also abutted open space, so we had critters there, too. For the most part we managed to keep the critters out of the house, but at some point, unbeknownst to us, the flap over the stove exhaust pipe (which vented under the porch) became dislodged and a family of ??? (we hope never to find out for sure, but probably rats) made their home in the pipe.
This story is wildly interesting in its detail, but suffice it to say, we called CA Rodent Busters. Several times. And when someone finally came out, he assessed the situation, turned to me with astonishment and said, "That pipe vents under the house." I nodded. He said, "I don't go under the house. No sir." And that was that. (Guess who cleaned the pipe.)
Back in CO, my drawling, slow-talking, cowboy-boot wearing Rodent Buster showed up within two hours of my call. He performed the extraction, asked me if I wanted to see it (I demurred) and then told me he was going to run to the store to pick up a screen to affix to the dryer exhaust pipe that...yep...vents under the porch. I was in love.
It didn't end there, though. I thought my cowboy would balk when he saw that he had about 7 inches of clearance between the porch and the ground. He would be crawling into the dark, over...ugh, I can't think about it.
But no, this guy just looked at the clearance. Then he laughed and said it was a good thing he didn't send his partner, whose butt would never fit. With that, he dove under the porch. A few minutes later he calls out, "Well, I found the pipe. And there are three pretty fresh rabbit carcasses under here too. Wanna see." What a guy. He wanted to share.
Colorado: +1
I'm glad Twila gave +2 for the cowboy. Colorado deserves it.
ReplyDeleteDublin was interesting, critterwise. There was no basement, of course, just a creepy crawlspace. Once I got used to it, though, it was my home under my home. Spiders, rats, and raccoons became my friends. As long as they stayed out of the pipes.