When we would go running on trails in CA, we never had to worry much about rattlesnakes because other runners went berserk when they saw them. No sooner did the snake hit the dirt when a virtual telephone tree of runners sent word along the trail.
That doesn’t happen in CO. The attitude here is: If you move to CO, you should expect to see snakes. Caveat emptor and all that. And in fact, we see snakes all the time. As some of you already know (and have seen), we found this beauty in our driveway. (See video below. Ophidiophobics beware!)
Most of you know Durf as a gentle, reserved and compassionate man. But when he saw this rattlesnake in our driveway, he yelled at me to get a broom. I thought he was about to sweep the thing away, so I complied. But no. What Durf wanted to do was poke at the creature until it coiled so he could get the whole thing on video.
The video is much better with sound, but I had to convert it to a silent film because of all the screeching in the background. While Durf was poking and shooting, I was busy screaming (literally) at him to back away. Really I was beside myself and I sounded like Roseanne.
It’s not that I have a morbid fear of snakes or anything. Far from it. After all, we had snakes for pets when I was a kid. But geez. What if something had happened to Durf? Who would mow the lawn? (just kidding, sweetie)
Colorado: +1 (excitement factor)
That was exciting, but it's definitely better with the sound. That was a big snake. When I left it alone it somehow managed to crawl under our garage door. Now I'm really cautious every time I enter the garage.
ReplyDeleteGreat video; I would have loved to hear it as well. But what was the camera shaking all about. Trembling with fear or looong telephoto so you didn't have to get real close to the snake. I loved the way he(she) held his tongue out more than a quick flick. I didn't know snakes did that. He must have found your aroma very interesting.
ReplyDelete