The previous critter posts have not done justice to the abundant wildlife viewing opportunities we have in CO. Since we’ve been here, Durf and I have made the obligatory pilgrimage to the local eagle nesting site; we’ve been chased by a rutting male elk (that sounds funny, I know); we’ve ogled a local herd of bison; and we have failed any number of times to capture pix of bighorn sheep we’ve spotted in the canyon.
One of my most exciting encounters was during our first year in CO. I was heading up to Winter Park to ski (a generous description of what I did) with my brother and his family. We had almost arrived at our cabin when out of nowhere, two large beasts galumphed over the snow piled at the side of the road and onto the asphalt in front of us. There ensued lots of screaming followed by the screeching of tires. No injuries. Then we all watched the beasts galumph over the snowpack on the other side of the road and disappear into the woods.
“Whoa,” I said into the stunned silence. “Those poor skinny bison looked like they were starving!” The car exploded into derisive laughter, and my brother said, “What? You don’t know a moose when you see one?”
Well, what do you expect? It was my first safari.
Colorado score: +1
Galumphing meese!
ReplyDelete