Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Odd Days: Birthday Torture

Today is Durf's birthday, but I'm probably not allowed to tell you that. I love birthdays and celebrating them is one of my favorite things to do in life. But Durf likes to fly under the radar. Could be because he blushes so easily. Or it could be another reason. In some respects he is such a performer. But when it comes to birthdays, he likes to hide out. This is a lesson I have *not* been quick to learn.

Years ago, I had this t-shirt made:


And indeed, I'm wearing it today. The thing is, I'm not allowed to wear it outside -- not even to get the paper!

I have learned that if I plan anything for his birthday, I should let him know in advance -- preferably a year in advance, so he can steel himself. No surprises, that's the rule. I learned that lesson 25 years ago when I told him to get in the car and then drove to the airport. Holy crap, I thought he was going to have a...well, a cow (that's a euphemism).

But in the end we (even Durf) always have fun. And the adventure usually makes for a good story *after* the fact. Durf loves to tell a good story.

Happy birthday, honey. Don't worry, nobody will be reading this but you.

4 comments:

  1. I promise I didn't read it. I didn't see that it is Durf's Birthday, and I promise I won't acknowledge Happy Birthday Durf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D: HBD2U, HBD2U, HBDDD, HBD2U!

    T: I hope YOU are having a happy DBD too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a birthday in a long time...and since you're older than me I guess you haven't either. So I think that means you'll always be older than me since we stopped about the same time. So I hope July 19th was as good for you as it always was for Mom and me. Wish I could be there to give you a hug, grumpy, on this your not day! By the way, Jude sang "I Go Out Walkin" for ya today...XXOO

    ReplyDelete