Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Odd Days: Twins

I decided to explain why Durf and I both own Subaru Outbacks. I'm explaining it because everyone I know has asked me about it.

Durf and I are rapidly becoming twins. It started slowly, but over the years the morphing into twin-ness has accelerated. Some of you might find that statement pretty hilarious. Even I find it hilarious. On the face of it, the statement is ridiculous, but when I take a close look, I see that it's true.

The latest piece of evidence, of course, would be our identical Subarus. Before that, we both owned Prii. Before that, we both had the same carbon fiber bicycle, the same windbreaker, the same water bottle. The list goes on.

Twenty years from now, we're going to be those two ancient people you see walking down the street. If you don't notice us at first, you'll notice the kids tittering and pointing. Then you'll look. You won't be able tell if the two ancients (that would be D and I) are male or female. However, you will see that they look exactly alike. They are both wearing "I climbed Pikes Peak t-shirts." They'll have on mid-thigh shorts that emphasize their knobby knees and flaps of wrinkled skin. They'll have matching walking sticks (canes, don't you know) and wrap-around sunglasses. And their 20-year-old running shoes will be laced with elastic laces.

All kidding aside, I could offer some well-reasoned explanations for how each of these confluences has come about, but I decided to speak the truth. The truth is that Durf's taste has improved over the years.

6 comments:

  1. I love that post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could also be ying/yan returning to its source....
    Or maybe it is the Twila/Durf child ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. this worries me. if one of you moves on . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened to the Prii? Both suddenly decided that they were too old or too common? Or did you both decide, not unreasonably, that Outbacks make good sense in snow country?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone in CO has an Outback. We wanted to be like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete