Total Pageviews

Monday, September 19, 2011

Odd Days: Go Broncos

I like sports. I always have. I'm not sure when it all started, but I remember being recruited to play baseball (using a real baseball) with some boys after school when I was in the fourth grade. Actually, they just needed someone to stand in the outfield. And of course they didn't have a glove for me. But I was a girl and couldn't catch anything anyway. In spite of that, when the first batted ball came flying right at me, they all screamed "Catch it!" Did I cringe and cower? No, I was stupid. I reached out to catch the ball. Ouch! Ah, but then I enjoyed my first (and last) few moments as a sports superstar!

I tried many sports (badminton, volleyball, hockey, soccer), but I finally settled on basketball for a very simple reason. I was only an average athlete but a standout when it came to heart and histrionics. You might be surprised by how well that works on a basketball court.

I went on to play basketball through high school, a bit in college and more after college. Later I coached JV basketball (and softball!) in high school. As a coach, I lost my voice during every game. And that experience set the stage for my becoming an enthusiastic spectator.

Enthusiastic spectating is a requirement for living in Colorado. But on Sundays during football season, Durf pretends he doesn't live in CO. ACK! That leaves it to me to stock up on Broncos paraphernalia, don an orange hoodie and blue knit cap on Sundays and sit before a second TV to cheer on the worst team in football.

We won yesterday!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the back story and the present story, Twila. I really did not know the back story and was somehow not totally clear on the extent of your present fan-dom. I'm glad for you that the Broncos won. Durf's pro sports heart seems irrevocably rooted in the SFBA.

    ReplyDelete