Total Pageviews

Friday, September 30, 2011

Einstein & Durf.

You might have read that recently Einstein's famous relativity equation, E=MC^2, has been called into question because of neutrinos. I don't know if neutrinos were part of Einstein's database, but it's interesting.

I have my own theory of relativity, TTDS = 2TU++. I believe that my equation will outlast Einstein's, or that at the least they will tie.

I developed my equation during thousands of evenings during which I realized that I had accomplished only a fraction of what I'd set out to do that day. The reason is that everything takes longer to do than you think it will, and by quite a lot. You might get a little bit lazy, have distractions, or encounter technical difficulties. 'TTDS' = "Time To Do Something".

For example, yesterday I had the simple task of putting chains on our snowplow (recently converted from a yard tractor). It sounded like a very easy job. I wouldn't have to put them on while lying in snow on the street, but in the warm comfort of our garage. The tires are small, and accessibility wouldn't be a problem at all. But in the end the job took hours. The instructions were not quite correct, and the chains were both a half-link long and a half-link short - too loose if I attached them in one link, and impossible to attach in the next. '2T' = twice the estimated time.

Doubling your estimate of the time to do something is a start, but you'll soon realize that it takes even longer, especially if the job is complicated. That led to an additional modification. 'U++' = unit of time incremented.

It's a formula I used unfailingly, and quite successfully, when estimating software tasks.

For example, if I was given a bug to fix and my boss wanted to know how long it would take, my first estimate might be 1 work day. But then I would apply the formula. 2 x 1 day = 2 days, and day++ = week (the next higher unit). So I'd tell my boss it would take 2 weeks.

And even then I'd be happy to get it done on time.

1 comment:

  1. I think I've underestimated you, Durf, but that's mainly due to lack of exposure (non-cyber).

    ReplyDelete