And indeed, in Telluride, I never think about it -- unless I am stuck in a seat that is at the far right of the first row of a huge theater AND there is a post in front of my left eye. In that case, if the film is subtitled, I am forced to multi-task in ways that even Leonard Maltin might find challenging. That's because I'm watching a (in this case) 2.5 hour movie with my neck twisted painfully up and to the left. Meanwhile, the last two or three words of each subtitle disappear behind the post forcing me to guess what the remainder of the sentence is. By the time I have finished solving the puzzle, my mind comes back to the screen, but I have (sometimes) missed something crucial.
I experienced the above nightmare only once. And although the vast majority of films at Telluride are subtitled, I generally did not notice.
Even if there were no film festival in Telluride, I would revel in being there. Here's why. (Unfortunately, these are only iphone photos, but I bet you'll get the idea.)
Great pix, hon!
ReplyDeleteI get the idea. I regret that I never got to visit Colorado. and you guys in Colorado. I can no longer hack watching subtitled movies on TV, but a good foreign movie in a darkened theater was OK.
ReplyDeleteI kept looking for you, Twila, hiding somewhere in the photos. Or do you only do that in Durf's pics. OK, I acknowledge that it would be difficult for you to hide in your own photos. (Gosh, I hope I didn't miss something.)
ReplyDelete